The C4 Corvette is known to be an affordable and futuristic car. Experts suggest that their value will also increase because they are considered quite cool in the collector car market. So, if you have one, you should make sure you take good care of it so that its value remains intact.
One of the many steps to taking care or maintaining a car is replacing the shocks when they show signs of going bad or within 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). Shock absorbers are often ignored because they seem like insignificant, tiny parts of the vehicle. But, ask any car enthusiast. He will tell you the impact a shock has on the vehicle. It is tremendous. You will only start realizing that after your shock wears out and/or if you have a bad quality shock – every bump on the road will be an inconvenience and you will feel it all the way. The ride will be very uncomfortable throughout.
How to know if your shocks need replacing
While sometimes it is obvious that your shocks must be replaced, other times it is not. You may suspect that something’s wrong but pointing it to shocks can be difficult. Below are some warning signs that can indicate bad shocks:
- Instability especially on the highway
- Excessive bouncing
- Leaking fluid around the shocks
- Tipping or leaning to one side
- Hard breaking seems slightly out of control
- Unusual tire wear
Again, like we said earlier, these signs might indicate other problems as well. To be sure, that it is indeed the shocks that need replacement, you can perform a simple test. Push your car down hard on all corners. This usually fixes the bouncing problem. If it doesn’t, your shocks are at fault.
Best shocks for C4 Corvette
Read on to find out which shocks you should buy for your C4 Corvette. This is a curated list put together by our experts.
1. ACDelco 520-396 Advantage Shock Absorbers – Rear
Do we need to tell you about the popularity of ACDelco? We are assuming not! ACDelco is one of the best brands out there for shocks and if you are looking for a rear part, you should definitely choose this one. Let’s find out why:
- It has a chromed piston rod for consistent wear & tear and resistance to corrosion.
- The piston seal is adjustable and ensures that the seal is undisturbed throughout. So, you won’t have to worry about leaks or any such problems after installing this shock.
- The gas-charged shock comes with a superior quality O-ring that pressurizes the inner tube and keeps it free from fatigue, dirt, etc.
- It has a Drawn Over Mandrel pressure cylinder with a smooth surface that ensures longevity among other things.
- These are twin-tube shocks and fit the OEM parts perfectly.
- Easy to install
- Noticeable improvement in the ride quality
- The shock mount bushing is not of good quality
2. New Bilstein Front and Rear Shocks for C4 Corvette
Make way for Bilstein! It is one of the best brands out there and has been winning the hearts of customers for many years now. Here are reasons why you should consider it as well:
- These are heavy-duty shocks with gas pressure. Their main purpose is to enhance the stability and handling of the car without compromising on comfort.
- The monotube gas shocks also have excellent damping ability, which provides great performance.
- These shocks are ideal even for loads. Nothing will make the service life go down.
- You can enjoy lane-change stability not just during daily driving but also in extreme conditions.
- These shocks are perfect for 1989-1996 Corvettes but will not fit ZR-1 and Z51.
- Superior quality
- Excellent ride
3. ACDelco 520-380 Advantage Shock Absorbers – Front
If you are looking to replace your front shocks only, take a look at these ACDelco shocks. They are very reliable and have multiple users backing them. In fact, even Amazon thinks they are a good choice. Here are the reasons why:
- They are corrosion-resistant thanks to their chrome finish on the piston rod.
- The piston seal is of very high quality and works to avoid any kind of leakage.
- The O-ring works to ensure that no dirt or dust enters the tube. This is an important function because it keeps the whole shock protected and extends its service life.
- The smooth surface of the piston rod contributes to consistency in wear.
- These gas-charged shocks have twin tube design.
- The oil seal has a dirt wiper for safety.
- Easy to install
- The bushings and washers are not of the best quality
4. Detroit Axle – Front Struts and Rear Shocks
The Detroit Axle Front and Rear shocks are an ideal choice if you want to replace all your shocks at once. This set of 4 serves its purpose very well and comes with the following features:
- They are ready for installation and come with all the hardware needed. You don’t need to put in any extra work.
- The coil spring is made of premium-grade steel for a comfortable ride and extended life.
- The rubber dust boots keep the dust away from the tube, increasing its service life.
- The piston rod is highly rigid and provides toughness. It goes through rigorous high-frequency heat treatment to achieve this feature, which leads to great stability even at high speeds.
- The O-ring by keeping the seal tight.
- The shocks’ oil hydraulic circuit system prevents unnecessary vibrations.
- Ready to install
- The warranty isn’t very long
5. Bilstein 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber for C4 Corvette
Here’s another Bilstein product for you. If you have a Corvette from 1989-1993, you can choose this option. It fits perfectly and comes with multiple excellent features. They are:
- The shocks have specifically been engineered to improve performance and ride handling.
- They also make the ride more stable and suit highway driving perfectly.
- Each shock has been tested against various quality parameters to ensure good quality. They all meet or exceed the OE standards.
- The monotube shocks come with good warranty, adding to the trust factor.
- The monotube gas shocks
- Easy to install
- Excellent quality
- Sold individually
People also ask
Time to get a better understanding of the shocks by going through a few FAQs.
1) What happens if I don’t replace shocks?
It will take long for your vehicle to come to a stop and you will have a very uncomfortable ride. If you ignore bad shocks for long, they will also affect the engine.
2) How do you check shocks?
Push one corner of your vehicle hard. It should bounce back up and then halt at its original position. If it bounces more than once, there’s a problem with the shocks.
3) How much does it cost to get new shocks installed?
It can be anything from $250 to $600. Labor charges are extra.
4) What do new shocks feel like?
They feel great! It may take some time to adjust but once you do, you will love your new ride. The turns will be better and you will come to a stop more easily. Moreover, your tires will thank you because they will no longer wear out quickly.
5) Which year C4 Corvette is the best?
6) Do C4 Corvettes handle well?
Yes, they have excellent ride handling and provide great driver visibility.
You are one step away from upgrading your C4 Corvette and making it as good as new. Choose any of our recommended shocks and you will be happy for sure! IF you have any more questions or suggestions, please leave a comment.