Buying the right shocks for your vehicle can seem like a challenge but it is one of the most important aspect of vehicle maintenance. Compromising here or neglecting them can be dangerous not just to your SUV but also to your life. If you own a GMC Envoy, here’s a comprehensive guide for you that explains the benefits of shocks, how you should buy them, and which ones you should go for.
Importance of shock absorbers
After the engine, many value shock absorbers as the crucial parts. And, they are not wrong. Shocks indeed play a vital role in maintaining the health of your vehicle. This is because their primary function is to control the suspension and the spring. They also stabilize the movement of your vehicle, making even uneven terrain feel smooth. Thanks to this functionality, below are the benefits you will observe:
- A smooth ride even when the road is bumpy.
- Safety because they provide stability and control on the vehicle. You can stop your vehicle whenever you want to and it won’t steer away when it is too windy.
When shocks start failing, you will see recognizable signs such as a bumpy ride, engine misfires, and lack of control. It is ideal to head over to the mechanic immediately for a thorough check when you experience these signs. Delays will only make matters worse.
|Shocks for GMC Envoy
Best shocks for GMC Envoy – Buying guide
Since there are so many options, it is easy to get confused and wonder which ones to go with. They all seem great! Ask yourself the following questions and make a checklist accordingly to narrow your search down:
- What are the most important factors?
- Type of shock absorbers
- What is the reason why you are buying the shock?
- For better performance
- To replace factory shocks
- Do you really need the best shocks on the market?
- What are the advantages you will get from the new shocks?
While searching and shortlisting, if you answer these questions, you will be in a much better place to choose the right shocks.
Best shocks for GMC Envoy
Now, we enter our favorite part! Below are our top 5 picks that we chose after careful research, testing, and comparison.
1. Detroit Axle – Front Struts and Rear Shocks
Detroit Axle shocks are well known for being 100% reliable and trustworthy. They are compatible with 2002-2009 GMC Envoy, 2002-2006 GMC Envoy Xl, and 2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV. Here are some of their features:
- They come ready to install with all the hardware needed. You do not need any additional tools to install them.
- The coil spring is made of premium grade steel that promises longevity. It also ensures that you do not feel too much vibration while riding your truck.
- It will give you a smooth ride thanks to its premium bearings, bolts, and SAE-graded nuts.
- The shocks have a rubber dust boot that do not allow debris from the road to settle onto the tube. This keeps the quality of the assembly high for a long period of time.
- The piston rod has been made using high-frequency heat treatment. This process makes it rigid and tough, lending more stability to the vehicle.
- The shocks have an oil hydraulic circuit system for comfort and safety.
2. Front Complete Struts and Rear Shocks for GMC Envoy 2002-2009
This is another excellent set of shocks and struts for your GMC Envoy. It is one of the most popular kits out there because of its reliability and specifications. Let’s find out what they are:
- These are OEM shocks and struts, which means that they have been made to fit your vehicle without modifications. You just have to remove your old parts and install these instead.
- The kit comes with all installation hardware. You don’t need anything outside of what’s in the pack.
- The coil spring and mount are precision-engineered to resemble the OE design, promising easy fit.
- Once you replace the shocks, you will notice a significant improvement in the vehicle’s performance. It will ride like it used to when it was new.
- With these shocks, you will also get the original height of your vehicle back.
3. Front Quick Complete Strut Assemblies and Rear Bare Shock Absorbers
These shocks have specifically been made for GMC Envoy models from 2002 to 2006. If you have a later model, we suggest that you look at other choices. If your vehicle satisfies the compatibility needs, though, you should totally choose these shocks for the following reasons:
- This is a set of ready-to-install struts and shocks. The entire installation process will only take an hour.
- It is compatible only with GMC Envoy models that have rear air springs.
- The set is made only of precision-engineered components for the best ride experience.
- These are gas-charged shock absorbers.
- The manufacturers provide a warranty of 1 year.
4. Monroe 37241 Rear Shocks for 2002-2009 GMC Envoy
Monroe is among the best manufacturers of shock absorbers. No matter what your expectations may be, there’s almost always a Monroe that will satisfy them. This particular set of rear shocks has been designed specifically for 2002-2009 GMC Envoy vehicles and comes with the following features:
- The shocks are nitrogen gas-charged.
- They are OEM shocks, which means that they will fit your vehicle without any problems.
- They have an upgraded sealing that promotes longevity.
- Since they are direct replacements, they will restore factory-quality ride and handling.
- They filter harshness, vibrations, and road noise.
5. Detroit Axle – Rear Shock Absorbers
If you are only looking for rear shocks and like the Detroit Axle brand, this is a good choice for you. Designed for 2002-2009 GMC Envoy and 2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV, they have the following features:
- The piston seal is self-adjusting, which means that it works to maintain a sturdy seal between the pressure tube and the piston. This property eliminates the fear of leaks and lends more life to the shocks.
- The O-ring works to provide pressure to the tube and creates an unbreakable seal. This protects the valve from dirt and unnecessary wear & tear.
- They are a significant improvement on the factory shocks.
- You will experience a smooth ride after installing these shocks.
People also ask
If you have any more doubts about shocks for your GMC Envoy, this section will most likely answer them.
1) Can I replace shocks myself?
If you have a basic understanding of the process and have indulged in DIY projects before, you can try replacing the shocks yourself. If you want hassle-free installation, though, it is best to trust the mechanic. It will cost you a few bucks but it is safer and easier.
2) How much should it cost to replace shocks?
Shock absorbers can cost anywhere from $50 to $150 each. Since you will buy at least 2, it will cost $100 or more. Installation depends on the mechanic and the type of vehicle.
3) Do I need to replace all 4 shocks at once?
Experts recommend that you replace all 4 shocks at once or at least do it in pairs. This will enable better handling and reduce the need to do them individually.
4) Will new shocks make the ride smoother?
Yes, they will either restore the OE performance or exceed it.
5) Can bad shocks cause death wobble?
Yes, it is likely.
6) Is Monroe a good brand for shocks?
Yes, it is considered as one of the top brands for complete strut assembly.
7) Which is better – gas or oil filled shocks?
Our vote goes to gas shocks because nitrogen gas keeps the shocks cool and is not flammable.
Take your time while choosing shocks because they are vital for your vehicle’s overall performance. Don’t wait for all shocks to go bad before replacing them. This can be very dangerous. If you have any more doubts, all you have to do is to reach out to us. We are looking forward to hearing from you!