Worried about worn out shocks and don’t know what to do? Well, replacing them is the best bet. Damaged or failing shocks can ruin the ride and cause serious trouble, which is why we recommend that you identify them and get replacement shocks immediately.
How do you know if the shocks are failing?
Of course, you don’t have to find the shocks and look at them for physical damage. It will be evident from a few signs such as:
- Oil leakage
- Bouncy bumper – front or rear
- Unpleasant ride
Best shocks for Nissan Xterra
Once you identify the need for new shocks, you should immediately look at the best possible options for you. This mainly depends on your requirement. Ask yourself why you need the shocks. Is it for off-road and trail or daily driving? Do you intend to carry heavy loads? All these factors will determine the right shocks for your Nissan Xterra.
1. Bilstein 24-187121 – Rear Shocks
Bilstein can never be ignored in a discussion about shocks. It is a leading manufacturer and is loved by many users because its shocks are highly reliable and sturdy. Let’s learn more about these rear shocks:
- These are direct fit shocks and an upgrade at the same time. This means that they are slightly better than OE shocks.
- They have a monotube design that ensures great performance time and again. Even after significant riding, you won’t see a dip in performance.
- They have a digressive piston that is velocity sensitive. It helps adjust to different road conditions.
- You can expect better handling, comfort, and ride quality with these shocks.
- They are perfect for off-road driving.
- Very easy to install
- Deliver more comfort and better ride quality
- Do not come with nuts and bolts
2. AM Autoparts – Front and Rear Shock Absorbers
This is a set of 4 shocks for the front and rear. So, if you are planning on replacing all of them, this is the set for you. Below are the reasons why we love them:
- They are direct replacement shocks.
- You will enjoy a smooth ride with these shocks.
- They are gas-charged.
- They come with an incredible 10-year warranty.
- Work as expected
- Ride may be slightly bouncy
3. New Bilstein Nissan Xterra Shocks – Front and Rear
This is a complete set of shock absorbers for your Nissan Xterra. It works with most models but we recommend that you crosscheck your vehicle’s model and build before making a purchase. Also, don’t forget to go through its features!
- The shocks measure 46 mm, which is the standard size. They are direct OE replacements.
- They have been designed to help you get maximum performance from your vehicle while maintaining comfort.
- They also enhance ride handling.
- They have a patented design that ensures easy driving on different types of trails and road conditions.
- These shocks are a definite upgrade and work well enough to extend the life of your vehicle.
- Feels like a new ride
- Improved performance
4. Mac Auto Parts Store – 100% New Shocks
These shocks are a set of 4, designed specifically for Nissan Xterra 05 to 11 models. They come with multiple features that you will be very happy about. Let’s go through a few of them:
- They are direct replacement shocks, making installation very easy.
- Assembly doesn’t take much time. The whole process is quicker and safer than other traditional shocks.
- The shocks are OEM fits in terms of alignment and geometry.
- They promise to improve ride quality and comfort.
- The kit comes with the required springs and bearings for installation.
- Complete kit
- Enhances ride quality
- Ideal for 2 WD only
5. Bilstein 24-187169 Shocks for Nissan Xterra
We thought it was fair to end our list with another Bilstein shock for Nissan Xterra because the company is just that good! Read on to know the features of this one and you will understand why!
- They are suitable for SUVs and lifted trucks alike. Kindly check the fitment so that you don’t end up with the wrong shocks.
- Their monotube design promises consistent performance.
- They can adjust to different driving conditions, helping you enjoy a great ride throughout.
- They are tuned to various applications for optimal performance.
- The shocks have been designed to boost comfort, handling, and ride quality.
- Easy to install
- Have pre-installed bushings
- On rough roads, you may hear a mild noise. You can eliminate this by slightly tightening the inner sleeve
There you go! Choose any of these for a comfortable, and more importantly, better ride on your Nissan Xterra!
We have answered a few common questions about shocks for your benefit:
1) Does Nissan Xterra have shocks or struts?
Nissan Xterra has shocks. It does not have struts.
2) Will replacing shocks improve ride quality?
Yes, they do improve ride quality by ensuring it is smooth and not bouncy.
3) When should you replace shocks?
You should get new shocks at 50,000 miles or when you start seeing signs of bad shocks, whichever comes earlier.
4) What are the signs of bad shocks?
- Excessive bouncing
- Tipping to one side
- Instability on the highway
- Oil leakage
5) What noise do bad shocks make?
It is a knocking or clunking sound.
6) Do you need an alignment after replacing shocks?
Not necessarily, especially if you have OE replacement shocks. You can adjust the alignment when you change the tires.
7) Should I replace all 4 shocks at the same time?
Yes, replacing all of them at once is the most advisable. You can also do it in pairs (front or rear) based on the requirement.
8) Do front or rear shocks wear faster?
Front ones tend to wear out faster because of the engine.
This article was aimed at providing all the required information about the best shocks for Nissan Xterra. We hope you found what you needed. If there’s anything else you’d like us to mention, please let us know. We are waiting for your comments.