The Toyota Pickup is a heavy-duty, reliable truck that has been designed to withstand various conditions. So, if towing, hauling, and off-roading are a part of your lifestyle, the Toyota Pickup is definitely the right choice for you.
A vehicle, no matter how sturdy and resistant, requires regular maintenance to perform to the best of its capabilities. Also, it is only as good as its parts. So, the first question you should ask yourself is whether all the parts of your Toyota pickup are working properly. More often than not, when the performance goes down, it is because the shocks need replacement.
Shocks may be physically small but they are among the most important parts in the vehicle. Why? Well, without good quality shocks, you will feel every single bump and unevenness on the road, making your ride extremely uncomfortable. We are sure you don’t want that!
If you often use an uneven terrain (off-road), which is the main purpose of the Toyota Pickup, you will come across numerous bumps that can make riding difficult. That is why you need very high quality shocks that have been designed for this specific purpose.
Importance of high quality shocks for Toyota Pickup
Shocks work to stabilize movements on the road so that you have better control and are able to navigate through rough road surfaces. They also enable you to accelerate and brake seamlessly based on the requirements. Imagine, for a second, not having this control. The result can be dangerous, especially when you are towing or off-roading. Without good shocks, this is exactly what will happen. In fact, even on a smooth road, you will experience the slightest bounce. The level of discomfort and control problems on other surfaces cannot even be expressed.
So, the bottom line is that shocks are crucial for a convenient ride and your safety.
In this article, we shall speak about the best options available on the market today so that you don’t have to look any further!
Best Shocks For Toyota Pickup
Below are some of the shocks we shortlisted after thorough research.
1. New Bilstein Front and Rear Shocks – 4600 Series
Bilstein is our first choice because it has trustworthy shocks engineered specifically for Toyota Pickups. Most riders rely on Bilstein and we totally understand why. Here are a few features of these shocks that you will be interested in:
- These shocks work to improve ride performance and handling of trucks, SUVs, and vans. Alongside, they ensure that the comfort of the ride is not compromised. This is one of the USPs of Bilstein.
- Once you install these shocks, you will experience more control, especially when compared to other options. This is thanks to Bilstein’s patented design.
- The dampers are definitely an upgrade and ensure that the truck simply glides on the road, regardless of the nature of the surface. The icing on the cake is that these dampers are not even expensive.
- In each pack, you will get 4 monotube shock absorbers – 2 for the front and 2 for the rear.
- With these shocks, you will also extend the service life of your vehicle.
Who can use these
- 1986 to 1995 Toyota Pickup 4WD
- 1986 to 1989 Toyota 4Runner
2. Rancho RS5000X Shocks For Toyota Pickup
Rancho has been a frontrunner in shocks for many years now and for a good reason too. Its series of shocks are sturdy and made of good quality materials. They rarely disappoint.
- This is a set of 4 shocks, 2 each for the front and rear of the truck.
- They are gas shocks and come with all the hardware you need for installation such as nuts, bolts, and washers. However, you will have to use the factory mountings.
- You can use them on all 4WD vehicles that have factory height. They can also accommodate a 1-inch lift.
- These twin tube shocks avoid shock fade and foaming by avoiding air-to-oil mixture. The gas pressure also enables better spring rate.
- You will see an improvement in the ride handling and performance on-road and off-road.
- The manufacturers provide limited lifetime warranty against premature failure and manufacturing defects.
Who can use these
- All 4WD vehicles
3. Shocks and Struts – ECCPP Store
If you are only looking for a pair of front shocks, this set from ECCPP store will satisfy your needs. They are compatible with a wide variety of vehicles and come with the following features:
- They are twin-tube gas shocks that provide complete protection against rugged off-road surfaces.
- They accelerate frame and improve ride comfort while taking care of body vibration.
- After installation, you will experience a difference in the braking and steering. You will have much more control.
- The shocks come with high performance rubber bushes and bump stops that enhance the overall driving experience.
- The steel rod of the shocks has a double chrome plate that is resistant to corrosion.
- All the brackets and mountings are direct OE replacements.
Who can use these
- 1988 to 1995 Toyota Pickups 4WD
- 1986 to 1995 Toyota 4Runner
- 1993 to 1998 Toyota T100
- These are not suitable for Toyota Tacoma and T100
4. Rancho Suspension QuickLift Shock Kit – RS9000XL
Those who are looking for more options in Rancho can check this series out. The RS9000XL is designed for the front and has strut assemblies. Read on to find out more:
- These shocks work to level the front suspension.
- They are powered by a 9-position tuning technology, using which you can adjust the product in 9 different ways.
- This suspension kit can accommodate large tires and wheels.
- The installation is quite straight-forward and does not require any additional tools.
- Like all other products, Rancho provides a limited lifetime warranty on this one as well.
- This is an advanced line of premium shocks that have been designed for hauling, off-road use, and towing.
Who can use these
- 2005 to 2012 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
5. Bilstein 5100 Shocks For Toyota Pickup
We started with Bilstein and we will end with it because it is indeed a showstopper. This is another set of 4 shocks for the front and rear with the following features:
- The shocks can accommodate 3-4 inches of lift in the front and the rear. They are extended shocks for this reason.
- They have a monotube design and 46mm digressive piston that improves road handling not just on-road but also off-road.
- The single tube design accounts for easy heat transfer. It also dissipates it so that there is no heat fade.
- These shocks are German engineered to provide optimum performance. They also have a longer service life. This means you can rely on them for around 100,000 miles with ease.
- If you usually drive your pickup on extremely uneven terrains and off-road conditions, you should definitely choose this series over Bilstein 4600. It is tougher.
- The shocks are backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
People also ask
1) What shocks give the smoothest ride?
Bilstein ranks highest in this list.
2) What is the best brand of shocks for Toyota Pickup?
Our vote goes to Bilstein and Rancho.
3) How often should you change shocks on a pickup truck?
We recommend a change after 50,000 to 100,000 miles. Also, it is important that you keep an eye on the performance of the shocks. Sometimes, they may wear out before you reach 50,000 miles. If you see any signs of distress, please get your shocks checked.
4) Why are Bilstein shocks better?
Bilstein shocks perform better due to their patented monotube design. They are more efficient and
provide comfort at the same time.
5) How long do shocks last on a Toyota Tacoma?
Ideally, they should last for at least 50,000 miles. Good shocks can last up to 100,000 miles.
The right set of shocks can make a world of difference in the performance of your Toyota Pickup. We urge you to take our recommendations into consideration and make the right choice. If you have any questions, you can always reach out to us.