Ford Excursion is a beast of a vehicle, don’t you agree? This durable beauty is known for its rugged appearance and beauty, making it an asset. But, it will only remain an asset if you maintain it well and give it the TLC it deserves from time to time. One of the steps here is to ensure that the shock absorbers of your Ford Excursion are in top shape and to replace them when the time comes.
If you continue to use worn-out shocks, you will see a significant dip in the performance of your vehicle. It is also dangerous because after a point, your engine will suffer massively and shut down, leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Maintenance and timely servicing are the best ways to avoid such problems.
Best shocks for Ford Excursion – Buying guide
When you look for shock absorbers, there are a few points that you should remember. We have listed them out here for your convenience:
- Which shock do you need? Believe it or not, there are multiple types of shocks. For Ford Excursion in particular, you might be interested in overload, standard, air shocks, or heavy-duty shocks. The right one for you will completely depend on what you use your vehicle for.
- Service life is another important consideration. Shocks from good brands usually have a long service life. This is why, even though they might be more expensive, they are cost-effective in the long run. You can ensure this by comparing your shortlisted shocks and seeing which one is the most durable.
- Shocks are made of different materials. Steel shocks are common and affordable but aluminum is more trustworthy and easy to install. That is why aluminum shocks are preferred over steel shocks.
- Speaking of installation, we are sure you do not want to end up with shocks that take hours to install. A few even need extra tools, which can make the process even more troublesome. Always look for shocks that have an easy bolt-on installation requirement with no additional tools.
- Of course, price is important as well. While we always advise that you do not go for the cheapest option, we also advise that you do not look at overpriced ones. Some of the trusted brands have affordable shocks that are totally reliable. You must check those out instead
Best Shocks For Ford Excursion
This is a list of the top-rated Ford Excursion shocks today. We have hand-picked them based on various parameters and are positive you will agree that these are indeed the best.
1. Bilstein 24-185462 – Front Shocks
Bilstein is a known and renowned brand for shock absorbers. It is trusted as a direct OE replacement and comes with multiple excellent features. Below are a few of them:
- This is a front shock for Ford Excursion 4WD vehicles.
- It has a monotube design that ensures consistent performance for many, many miles.
- These shocks are good for a variety of road conditions because they have a digressive piston that is velocity-sensitive.
- The shocks improve overall performance, comfort, and ride quality. Many users also say that ride handling is much better after installation.
- They also contribute to improved heat dissipation and damping power.
- The upper eye mount is 16mm while the lower eye mount is 12.1mm.
- You have a lifetime warranty on these shocks.
2. KYB Gas-A-Just Shocks for Ford Excursion
If you have a Ford Excursion from 2000 to 2005, these shocks will be a great choice. They are a set of 4 for the front & rear, and have the following features:
- KYB Gas-A-Just Shocks, as the name suggests, are gas-charged. They are known to be durable and reliable.
- They are an exact fit. You won’t face any problems during installation.
- The shocks have been tested rigorously and found to perform as well as or exceed OE shocks.
- They have a monotube design for better handling and performance.
- They also have a longer lifespan than most of the other shocks in their league.
- You get a one-year, unlimited-mileage warranty with these shocks.
3. Bilstein 5100 Gas Shocks – Set of 4
Here’s another set of shocks from Bilstein that you can rely on – take our word for it! These shocks are suitable for vehicles that have around 4-6 inches of lift. Their features are as follows:
- The shocks come with shock boots, washers, bushings, etc. Basically, everything you need to install them will be in the package itself. You will not need any additional tools.
- They have a monotube design and are charged with high-pressure gas. This is why they are durable, long-lasting, and deliver superior performance.
- These shocks are suitable for vehicles used in off-roading and daily driving.
- You will experience a visible improvement in off-road and on-road handling.
- Bilstein offers a limited lifetime warranty for these shocks, valid against pre-mature failure and defects.
4. Rancho RS9000XL Shocks For Ford Excursion
Rancho shocks are among our favorites for 4WD and RWD vehicles mainly because they are so versatile and durable. Read on to find out their specifications:
- These are adjustable shocks, giving you the freedom to customize the ride quality based on the need. For daily driving, you can keep it soft and for off-roading, you can make it firm.
- The shocks are perfect for daily driving, off-roading, and heavy-duty rigs.
- Installation is easy and the shocks come with everything you need for quick installation. You can use the factory mounting bolts as well.
- They are larger than standard shocks at 18mm and are very durable.
- You can tune the shocks in 9 levels.
- You get a 90-day warranty on these shocks.
5. Bilstein 33-236964 Shocks – Set of 2
We couldn’t resist! We understand this is yet another Bilstein product but it is so good, we couldn’t leave it out. This set of 2 rear shocks has been designed for 2000 to 2005 Ford Excursion vehicles. Below are a few more details:
- If you have a vehicle with 3-5 inches of lift, these shocks will be ideal for you. They have been engineered for this lift.
- They have a 46mm smooth body with a non-coil over design.
- These monotube shocks promise to improve performance and handling.
- They have a zinc-plated finish.
- The collapsed length of these shocks is 20.28 inches while the extended length is 32.01 inches.
- The ride quality will definitely improve after you install these shocks.
- They have a unique piston rod that reacts to road conditions.
People also ask
Here are answers to a few questions about shock absorbers that might help you:
1) How do I know when my shocks are bad?
You will see a few signs such as the following:
- Acceleration problems
- Vehicle tipping either to the right or left
- Difficulty taking sharp turns
- Rough handling
2) How many miles should shocks last?
Good shocks can last up to 100,000 miles.
3) Will new shocks make the ride smoother?
It depends on the types of shocks. Standard shocks and those made for daily driving can give you a smooth ride. Those made for off-roading and hauling can make the ride firm.
4) How hard is it to replace shocks?
If you understand the basics and have worked with cars before, you won’t find it very hard to replace shocks. If you have no auto experience, we recommend that you turn to a mechanic.
We hope our detailed buying guide and list of top shocks for Ford Excursion helps you and enables you to purchase the shocks that meet your needs. During the buying process, if you still have concerns, we will be more than happy to help you. Do reach out!