The brand Harley-Davidson is synonymous with “cool and rugged.” Everything from the brand’s logo to the way the engine revs up connects with motorcyclists the world over, which is why it is the most popular brand out there.
|Product No.||Shocks for Harley Sportster||Product Image||Product Reviews||Check Price|
|4)||Ohlins HD 022|
Now, while there’s no doubt that the motorcycle is durable, comfortable, and stylish, there’s always room for improvement. That’s where the shocks come in. Once you are through with the factory shocks, we totally advise that you replace them with something better and more reliable.
About Harley Davidson
Who hasn’t heard about Harley Davidson? It is a legendary brand that the whole world admires. The moment you hear the engine growl, you know it’s a Harley. That’s how popular it is! The brand came to life in 1093 in a shed in Wisconsin – a product of the skill, zeal, and innovation of four youngsters. They wanted to revolutionize the motorcycle industry and boy, they did!
Best shocks for Harley Sportster – Buying guide
It may be one of the best motorcycles in the world but if you don’t take good care of it, you won’t be able to enjoy the perks. Harley Davidson motorcycles also need maintenance and servicing regularly. And, this includes changing shocks when required. Here’s a buying guide that will help you choose the right one:
- The size: Most of us tend to neglect this very obvious factor. If the shock absorber is not the right size, it won’t fit properly. That will lead to a lot of problems. Go through all the specifications of the OE shocks and compare them with the shocks you want to buy. They should be exactly the same. We also advise that you specifically search for shocks made for Harley Sportster. This will narrow down your research time.
- The performance: Your rugged motorcycle needs rugged shocks that promise high performance. Some shocks are built for only a comfortable ride while others may be slightly harder but with more performance. Shocks are also designed for various road conditions. Choose the ones that suit your needs.
- The compatibility: When we say compatibility, we don’t just mean size and type. We also mean the frame. The shocks must easily fit the frame of your motorcycle for them to function appropriately.
The materials: Steel shocks with a chrome finish are the best choice, according to us. There are other materials as well but they may not be as durable. Bad quality shocks will not survive long and you will have to replace them soon. That will lead to additional costs and hassle.
Our article is dedicated to the Harley Sportster, which is currently leading the race in popularity and demand.
Best shocks for Harley Sportster
After thorough research and trials, we have shortlisted 5 of our favorite shocks. Read on for details.
1. Burly Black Slammer Kit – B28-1203B
Burly is a black, affordable shock absorber with a 10.5-inch measurement. It is famous for its price tag and the many features it offers despite being easy on the pocket. Let’s take a closer look:
- It does not require disassembly. You can directly install it and it won’t take you more than an hour.
- It is adjustable so that it matches the weight of the rider.
- It changes the height considerably (by around 2 inches). If your bike is already low, make sure you check that it does not interfere with the concrete. Otherwise it could be dangerous.
- They have a soft stroke and are of extremely good quality.
- The Burly Slammer is ideal if you use your motorcycle mainly for sport racing or riding on the street.
2. Progressive Suspension – Heavy Duty Shock
Progressive Suspension is one of the leading shock manufacturers for Harley Davidson. The shocks are durable and fairly priced with multiple highlights such as the following:
- It has a double wall damper made out of steel. It promises velocity sensitive damping.
- The pre-load adjuster offers 5 positions.
- It is gas-charged and packs in high pressure ensuring consistency and great performance.
- It has the ability to sense frequency and adjusting based on the bumps.
- It is highly adjustable but stable at the same time – even at sharp corners.
- The manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty against these shocks. Nothing can beat that!
3. Pro-action 11-inch Rear Shock – Compatible with Harley Davidson Sportster
This is a nitrogen gas charged 11-inch heavy-duty shock that is lightweight and packs a punch. Here’s why we recommend it:
- The shock is CNC machined from aircraft-quality billet aluminum.
- It has a hand-adjustable threaded coil.
- You can completely rebuild it in no time and it is very easy to install.
- It has 3-stage pressure sensitivity along with self-adjusting compression valving.
- It also has a pressure sensitive rebound system that works in 2 stages.
- It is ideal for sport riding and racing.
4. Ohlins HD Shocks – 1998 and above Harley Davidson Sportster
These are 13-inch shocks that have been engineered for 1998 models and have been dubbed as “perfect” by many users. Why are they so popular? The answer is in the features:
- These are pressurized oil and gas shocks. That’s why you don’t have to worry about air loss and similar hassle.
- The suspension is quite superior, giving you a lot of control on your motorcycle. The handling control is incredible.
- The manufacturers promise high performance and great comfort with every ride.
- They run over potholes quite easily without making you feel uncomfortable.
- You won’t feel those small bumps along the road at all!
- The shocks have a 5-year warranty.
5. Factory Spec – Harley Sportster Shocks
The Factory Spec shocks measure 10.5 inches and allow pre-loading adjustments. This means that you can get the height you need with just a wrench. Here are a few more details:
- They look great and work as expected.
- They are ideal for short riders and ensure complete comfort during travel.
- They are easy to install.
- The shocks are highly adjustable according to requirements.
- It fits the Harley Sportster perfectly.
People also ask
Let’s answer a few frequently asked questions now.
1) What is a progressive shock?
Progressive shock absorbers usually have a 5-stage system to deal with various types of vibrations. They work by regulating the shock suspension.
2) Which shocks give a smooth ride?
Usually, shocks measuring 10.5 to 12 inches promise a smooth ride.
3) Is a 1200 Sportster good for long trips?
Yes, it is. It may be smaller than the other Harleys but it is quite a good vehicle that can accompany you on long trips.
4) Are Harley Sportsters reliable?
Yes, they are. Many buyers have this question because Sportsters are not as expensive as other Harleys. But, rest assured, these are good motorcycles with many features.
5) Why are Sportsters so cheap?
Sportsters are in the affordable price range because they are entry-level motorcycles, often referred to as Starter Harleys.
All these shocks perform as expected and deliver the desired results. They are known for their performance, warranty, and durability. Depending on your needs and budget, you can pick out any of time. Make sure you check the pros and cons to be sure that you are picking out the right product. If you unhappy with it, you can always have it replaced because almost all of them have warranty and a great return policy. What are you waiting for then? Checkout with your favorite shocks now!