The brand Harley-Davidson is synonymous with “cool and rugged.” Everything from the brand’s logo to the way the engine revs up connects with motorcyclists the world over, which is why it is the most popular brand out there.
Now, while there’s no doubt that the motorcycle is durable, comfortable, and stylish, there’s always room for improvement. That’s where the shocks come in. Once you are through with the factory shocks, we totally advise that you replace them with something better and more reliable.
Our article is dedicated to the Harley Sportster, which is currently leading the race in popularity and demand.
Best shocks for Harley Sportster
After thorough research and trials, we have shortlisted 5 of our favorite shocks. Read on for details.
1. Burly Black Slammer Kit – B28-1203B
Burly is a black, affordable shock absorber with a 10.5-inch measurement. It is famous for its price tag and the many features it offers despite being easy on the pocket. Let’s take a closer look:
- It does not require disassembly. You can directly install it and it won’t take you more than an hour.
- It is adjustable so that it matches the weight of the rider.
- It changes the height considerably (by around 2 inches). If your bike is already low, make sure you check that it does not interfere with the concrete. Otherwise it could be dangerous.
- They have a soft stroke and are of extremely good quality.
- The Burly Slammer is ideal if you use your motorcycle mainly for sport racing or riding on the street.
- Aesthetically appealing
- Easy to install
- Softens while riding on uneven terrains
2. Progressive Suspension – Heavy Duty Shock
Progressive Suspension is one of the leading shock manufacturers for Harley Davidson. The shocks are durable and fairly priced with multiple highlights such as the following:
- It has a double wall damper made out of steel. It promises velocity sensitive damping.
- The pre-load adjuster offers 5 positions.
- It is gas-charged and packs in high pressure ensuring consistency and great performance.
- It has the ability to sense frequency and adjusting based on the bumps.
- It is highly adjustable but stable at the same time – even at sharp corners.
- The manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty against these shocks. Nothing can beat that!
- Easy to install
- Can be uncomfortable on highly bumpy roads
3. Pro-action 11-inch Rear Shock – Compatible with Harley Davidson Sportster
This is a nitrogen gas charged 11-inch heavy-duty shock that is lightweight and packs a punch. Here’s why we recommend it:
- The shock is CNC machined from aircraft-quality billet aluminum.
- It has a hand-adjustable threaded coil.
- You can completely rebuild it in no time and it is very easy to install.
- It has 3-stage pressure sensitivity along with self-adjusting compression valving.
- It also has a pressure sensitive rebound system that works in 2 stages.
- It is ideal for sport riding and racing.
- Heavy duty
- Easy to install
4. Ohlins HD Shocks – 1998 and above Harley Davidson Sportster
These are 13-inch shocks that have been engineered for 1998 models and have been dubbed as “perfect” by many users. Why are they so popular? The answer is in the features:
- These are pressurized oil and gas shocks. That’s why you don’t have to worry about air loss and similar hassle.
- The suspension is quite superior, giving you a lot of control on your motorcycle. The handling control is incredible.
- The manufacturers promise high performance and great comfort with every ride.
- They run over potholes quite easily without making you feel uncomfortable.
- You won’t feel those small bumps along the road at all!
- The shocks have a 5-year warranty.
- Superior handling
- No air loss
- Can wear out quicker than competitors
5. Factory Spec – Harley Sportster Shocks
The Factory Spec shocks measure 10.5 inches and allow pre-loading adjustments. This means that you can get the height you need with just a wrench. Here are a few more details:
- They look great and work as expected.
- They are ideal for short riders and ensure complete comfort during travel.
- They are easy to install.
- The shocks are highly adjustable according to requirements.
- It fits the Harley Sportster perfectly.
- Easily adjusted to short riders
- No instructions about spacers
All these shocks perform as expected and deliver the desired results. They are known for their performance, warranty, and durability. Depending on your needs and budget, you can pick out any of time. Make sure you check the pros and cons to be sure that you are picking out the right product. If you unhappy with it, you can always have it replaced because almost all of them have warranty and a great return policy. What are you waiting for then? Checkout with your favorite shocks now!