Shocks and struts are important parts of the Mustang’s build. If they go bad, you have to replace them before they damage the vehicle. In this article, we shall learn about them in detail so that you are able to identify faulty struts and shocks, and taking steps to replace them.
|Product No.||Shocks and struts for a Mustang||Product Image||Product Reviews||Check Price|
Difference between shocks and struts in a Mustang
Shocks and struts often go hand in hand because they serve the same purpose. However, they are quite different, especially in the way they mount.
So, even though both components make the ride smooth and the vehicle stable, you will need to adjust the strut mount to ensure that the car is aligned properly.
Types of shocks and struts in a Mustang
Mustangs usually have 2 types of shocks:
- Monotube shocks: As the name indicates, the monotube shocks only have 1 cylinder. These shocks work to separate the hydraulic fluid and the nitrogen gas. These shocks serve the purpose of improving performance in Mustangs.
- Twin tube shocks: These shocks have 2 cylinders and are known to improve ride quality. If you want a comfortable ride, these are the shocks you should choose.
There are no right and wrong shocks here. Since the outcome is different in both cases, what you choose depends on your preference.
Another differentiation in the types of shocks comes in their usage. There are two types again:
- Mustang adjustable shocks: Do you race your Mustang? You need these shocks to be able to control the suspension and tweak the compression so that cornering is easier with a better grip.
- Mustang non-adjustable shocks: These shocks are ideal for daily drivers who want better performance than their factory set-up.
Knowing if your Mustang shocks and struts need replacement
After a few thousand miles, components of your Mustang will start wearing out. How soon or how late they wear out will depend on the types of roads you frequent and the pounding they receive. When they start wearing out, they will begin to show signs such as the following:
- The ride gets bouncy
- Braking hard gets difficult
- Fluid may start leaking from one of the components (strut or shock)
- Tire starts shaking
- When on rough roads, suspension bottoms
If you see any of these signs, you should get the vehicle checked and replace the struts and shocks immediately.
Best shocks and struts for a Mustang
1. SENSEN 2330 – Front and Rear Struts
These are replacement struts for Mustangs manufactured from the year 2005 to 2009. They come with multiple features that make them a great buy. Let’s take a look at a few of them:
- They are powder coated.
- The kit has 4 pieces – 2 for the front and 2 for the rear.
- They give you the original fitment but are known to improve ride quality. So, getting this kit would be an upgrade on the factory struts and shocks.
- They are easy to install.
2. ECCPP – Shocks and Struts for Mustang
If you have a 1994-2004 Mustang, you won’t go wrong with these shocks and struts. They are among the more popular options we have on our list, giving you exactly what you want. Let’s take a closer look:
- These are twin-tube shocks that protect shock action even while off-roading.
- They have been built to improve ride quality, braking, and to take care of steering problems.
- The shocks have high-performance bushes made of rubber.
- The steel rods have a double-chrome plating. They are also micro-polished. This makes them resistant to corrosion. They also promise a longer service life.
- The manufacturers provide a 1-year warranty on the shock absorbers.
3. KYB Excel-G Gas Strut
KYB is known to be a leader in shocks and struts. It has premium products that have satisfied many buyers. Here are more details of the same:
- These are OEM replacement shocks specifically built for performance cars.
- They are twin-tube shock absorbers.
- They have been calibrated to replace factory shocks perfectly. This means that factory performance and ride quality will be restored once you install these shocks.
- The cylinder has a Teflon coating that ensures durability.
- Its precision iron strut guide helps you maintain the alignment after installation.
- The piston rod has multi-lip seals. It also has a triple-chrome plating.
4. Monroe Shock Absorber – Monro-matic
Monroe will never stay behind in a conversation about the best shocks and struts for Mustang. This particular one will tell you why. It has everything you could ask for and more. Read on to find out more:
- Its bore measures 1-3/16 inches, which is larger than the standard ones. It facilitates consistency, control, and efficiency.
- The shocks have special modifiers. They work to ensure smooth functioning by removing friction.
- The piston rod measures ½ inch in diameter. It is nitro-carburized and is known to be quite durable.
- The shocks are nitrogen gas charged.
- They have velocity-sensitive valving along with all-weather fluid.
- They are ideal for those who want a comfortable ride.
5. CCIYU 172138 – Struts and Shocks for Mustang
This is a kit of front struts suitable for Ford Mustangs manufactured between 2005 and 2010. The pair is ideal for those who only want front struts and the tools required for installation. Below are the reasons why you should buy it:
- They have been calibrated to improve control and flexibility.
- The design has a coil spring, which makes bouncy terrains smoother than expected.
- The shocks are resistant to corrosion and promise better performance.
- They are very easy to install.
- The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty on the product.
As you go through this list, you will realize that each shock/strut has specific features. They are not the same. A few are complete kits while a few others are front/rear struts. We mixed it up on purpose to give you the best in each category. We hope it makes your choice easy.
People also ask
In this section, we shall take a look at some of the FAQs on this topic.
1) Who makes the best shocks and struts for Mustang?
Our vote would go to Monroe and KYB.
2) Should I replace all 4 shocks at the same time?
Yes, experts recommend replacing all shocks together.
3) What shocks give the smoothest ride?
Monroe, Bilstein, and ACDelco top the list here.
4) How can I improve my ride quality?
- Choose good tires
- Don’t use larger wheels
- Upgrade the shocks and struts
- Choose the right height
5) What are the signs of bad struts?
- You will feel like the vehicle is tipping towards one side
- The tires will bounce
- Hard braking will be uncomfortable
- At highway speeds, the vehicle will be unstable
- There may be fluid leakage
6) Do new struts take time to break in?
No, they don’t.
Once you go through it, we urge you to compare the products against your needs and budget, and do the needful. We have done most of the hard work so that you don’t have to! You are literally minutes away from purchasing the best shocks and struts for your Mustang!
If you have any doubts or concerns, you know what to do! Just talk to us. Our comment box is open for you. Feel free to drop by.