Shocks, much like all other parts of automobiles, need extra care and maintenance. After a point of time, they will run their course and need replacement.
This is why it is crucial to understand which shocks are the best for your vehicle. In the past few months, we have spoken about this extensively and covered shock absorbers for various trucks and cars. Now, it is Dodge Dakota’s turn. Our article focuses on the best shocks for Dodge Dakota 4×4 in particular, educating you about the top front and rear shocks that you can buy. Alongside this, we have a cheat sheet that will be your guide even in the future when you want to make a choice all on your own.
Let’s get started then!
Which are the best shocks for Dodge Dakota 4×4?
The nitty-gritty always depends on your personal preference but the main factors remain the same for everyone. They are as follows:
- The type: There are 2 main types of shock absorbers that you can choose from. They are twin-tube and monotube. Twin tube shocks are further divided into positive-sensitive damping, acceleration sensitive damping, and gas-charged shocks. In general, monotube shocks are best for off-road driving and twin-tube serve the purpose of regular highway and on-road driving.
- The material: We are sure you want shocks that are durable and promise high performance. This is why the material they are made of matters a lot. Steel and aluminum should be your top choices.
- The flexibility: You should buy shocks that are adjustable so that you enjoy a certain degree of flexibility. Adjusting the height will be easy in this case, making off-road driving smooth.
- The budget: All said and done, the budget definitely plays a role even though we strongly suggest that this not be your primary consideration factor. There are many shock absorbers that you will find within a tight budget as well but if performance is being compromised, we suggest that you try and increase your budget. With so many choices in the market, we are positive that you will find a good one within your range.
Best Shocks for Dodge Dakota
Now comes the most interesting part – a detailed discussion about the best shocks for Dodge Dakota 4×4! Please note that we have chosen these after due diligence and considerations. However, the final choice solely depends on your preferences.
1. Rancho RS5000 Series
When it comes to shock absorbers, Rancho stands strongly as one of the best on the market today. It has front and rear shocks that are durable, high-performing, and affordable. Here are a few features that you will love:
- The shocks come with 10-stage velocity valving, enabling you to tune based on your vehicle’s model.
- The diameter of the piston rod is 16mm. It promises great strength.
- To ensure that the performance delivered is high and consistent across different environments, the diameter of the piston itself has been kept at 35mm.
- The shock absorbers come with a protective boot that protects the oil seal and the rod.
- The limited lifetime warranty makes it an excellent and safe purchase.
- Keep the factory ride performance
- Not heavy-duty
2. Detroit Axle – Front and Rear Shocks
The Detroit Axle shocks are ideal only for Dodge Detroit 4×4 models from 1997 to 2004. Please make sure you check the fitment before purchasing these. These shocks are known for their quality along with the features below:
- This is a set of 4 shocks – 2 for the front and 2 for the rear.
- They promise top performance.
- They have an O-ring that pressures the inner tube and creates a seal. This tight seal reduces vulnerability to fatigue, dirt, and wear.
- The shocks come with all the hardware needed for installation.
- They have full-displaced valving that is tuned for Dodge Dakota.
- To minimize friction, these shocks have a special fluid modifier.
- Durable bushing
- Tight and protective seals
- The hardware may not be up to the mark
3. TRQ Strut and Spring Assembly – Dodge Dakota Front Shocks
If you are only looking for front shocks, you can choose the Strut and Spring Assembly pair. They have been designed 2005 to 2009 Dodge Dakota 4W only. Here are the main features:
- The kit comes with everything you need including a strut bearing, an upper strut mount, a coil spring, a gas-charged strut, and a boot & bumper kit.
- The shocks are made of high carbon steel, making them highly durable and strong.
- They are pre-assembled to ensure that installation is easy and straightforward.
- The shocks come with limited lifetime warranty.
- Gas-charged strut
- High strength
4. Monroe Load Adjust Shocks
Monroe shock absorbers have long been among our favorites. They are not just reliable but also quite easy to install and last for a long time. Below are the features we particularly love:
- These shocks have a fluon banded piston that ensures a tight seal between the pressure tube and the piston itself. This is very important to ensure that there’s better control and zero leakage.
- Its full-displaced valving is tuned specifically for Dodge Dakota. This particular feature helps you adjust according to the road and enjoy a smooth ride.
- The shocks’ special modifiers reduce friction regardless of the driving conditions.
- These load adjusting shock absorbers are capable of maintaining the height of the vehicle even if you add heavy load (up to 1,100 lbs.).
- The Monroe shocks are perfect for tow trailers and light, load-carrying vehicles.
- Improved ride quality
- No adjustments required
- There may be a clearance issue
5. Bilstein Front Shocks – Dodge Dakota 4×4
Bilstein is another crowd favorite and why shouldn’t it be? It promises top features and delivers wonderfully! What are those features? Please read on to find out:
- They are sold individually. So, if you need a pair of front shocks, you should buy 2 pieces.
- They improve ride quality.
- The eye measures 12.1mm.
- Installation is easy and doesn’t take more than a couple of hours.
- The shocks are particularly good over bumps and ensure superb control.
- They are backed by a lifetime warranty.
- Improved ride quality
- Better control
- Sold individually
- A few users may find the ride to be firm albeit smooth
Investing in the right shocks can save you from a considerable amount of headaches in the long run. Shock absorbers determine the quality of your ride on different terrains. If you have bad quality shocks, you will feel every bump on the road and it won’t be a pleasant experience. Moreover, they can ruin the overall performance of your vehicle. This is why we recommend that you spend time on research and buy the shocks that serve your purpose the best.
The options we mentioned above are some of the top reviewed right now and have proven to be awesome. Comparing them against your checklist will help you zero in. If you are facing difficulty deciding among these, please get in touch with us and we will help you further.