When you think RC Crawler, what do you think? Rugged appearance, stellar performance, and off-roading. To ensure that these attributes are in all their glory, we must take care of our vehicle by having it serviced on time and maintaining it well.
Needless to say, one of the most important aspects of maintenance is replacing the shocks as and when needed. OE shocks usually last for around 50,000 miles or so. After that, even if your shocks are working fine, we recommend that you upgrade. In some cases, there are symptoms of bad shocks early on as well. Keep an eye out for these symptoms and do the needful when the time comes.
|PRODUCT NO.||BEST RC CRAWLER SHOCKS||PRODUCT IMAGE||PRODUCT REVIEWS||CHECK PRICE|
|1)||INJORA Built-in Spring Shock Absorber|
|2)||RCLions Shock Absorbers|
|3)||HobbyPark – Aluminum Shock Absorbers|
|4)||Aluminum Shock Absorbers By DDIRC Pro|
|5)||VQRTKS RC Shock Absorbers|
This article is a buying guide that gives you information about the best RC Crawler shocks and shines light on how you can buy the right shocks. Let’s get started.
Best RC Crawler shocks – Expert’s choice
We are going to kick things off by walking you through some of the best shocks for your RC Crawler.
1. INJORA Built-in Spring Shock Absorber
The INJORA shock absorbers have a built-in spring and are available in different sizes from 90 to 120mm. We think the 100mm shock will be perfect for the RC Crawler. Below are reasons why you should go for it:
- It has a CNC-machined aluminum body. This is proof that the shock is sturdy and reliable.
- The seal assembly is quite good.
- This is a set of 4 shocks that comes with all the important hardware required for installation. This includes washers, screws, bushings, etc.
- The damping effect is quite outstanding. It is very smooth.
- The diameter of the shaft is 3.5mm while the diameter of the rod’s end is 3mm.
2. RCLions Shock Absorbers
The RCLions Shock Absorbers are also available in various sizes from 80 to 120mm. You can choose any of them based on your vehicle. For an RC Crawler, like we mentioned earlier, the 100mm option is the most suitable. Kindly read on to go through its features:
- This particular set of shocks is made of aluminum alloy for decent durability and a long life.
- The damping effect smoothens once you install these shocks.
- The installation process is quite straightforward. You will receive all the tools you need to do the job.
- These are oil pressure shocks but you should not fill oil into them. Doing so will ruin it.
- The shocks have droop setup to ensure that your crawler is lower. This cannot be achieved with standard shocks.
- The shocks work to lower the center of gravity for stability and to ensure that all four tires are on the ground regardless of the terrain.
3. HobbyPark – Aluminum Shock Absorbers
Made with assembled dampers, the HobbyPark shock absorbers are suitable replacement accessories for your RC Crawler. Why do we say so? Read on to find out:
- These shocks are compatible with every 1/10 Scale RC Crawler cars. However, we advise you to check the exact model and requirement before making your purchase.
- They are CNC-machined for durability and precision.
- The shocks’ body is made out of aluminium alloy. They are very sturdy and reliable.
- They are available in different sizes right from 70mm to 120mm. You can pick one based on your needs.
- These shocks require oil but they are not pre-oiled. So, we suggest that you manually oil them before you start using them.
- The diameter of the shocks is 15mm.
4. Aluminum Shock Absorbers By DDIRC Pro
These are upgraded shocks for 1/10 RC Crawler vehicles. They have been designed to fit almost all models but it is always advisable to check before purchase. Below are a few features you might find interesting:
- They have a built-in internal spring.
- The entire body of these shocks is made out of aluminum.
- The shocks were engineered to perform well in various terrains.
- They are aesthetic as well as durable.
- The total length of these shocks is 112mm. The diameter of the shock tube is 12mm while the diameter of the mounting hole is 3mm.
- Installation is easy as the shocks come with the required mounting accessories.
- They are good for a droop setup.
5. VQRTKS RC Shock Absorbers
These shock absorbers stand out from the rest in quite a few ways. One of them is that they have double spring design. This is testimony to the fact that they are high performance shocks. Below are a few more details:
- The size of these shocks is 100mm with a center diameter of 3.5mm.
- The double spring design ensures upgraded performance. So, if that’s your priority, you must definitely choose these shocks.
- The diameter of the spring is 1.2mm.
- The entire body of the shocks is made out of aluminum alloy.
- This is a set of 4 shocks – you can replace all the shocks in one go.
BONUS – How to stiffen RC shocks
Often times, RC Crawler owners want to know how they can make their shocks stiffer. This is because stiff shocks do well off-road and in uneven terrains. If you are wondering the same, this section is definitely for you.
The easiest way to stiffen your shocks is to upgrade them with aluminum shocks. Aluminum shocks are said to be stiffer than OE shocks. They will serve your purpose really well. Having said that, if you want to continue with your standard shocks, you can look at upgrading the springs instead. Stiffer springs will automatically make the shocks stiffer.
People also ask
Now, we shall take a look at some common questions our readers have about the RC Crawler and shock absorbers.
1) What shock oil should I use for RC?
We recommend silicone shock oil. It provides excellent lubrication and has very less friction.
2) How often should you change RC shock oil?
2-3 times per season is good enough.
3) When should you change RC oil?
You should change the oil whenever you are changing the damping setup or when you see that there isn’t enough oil.
4) Should new shocks extend on their own?
Nitrogen gas-charged shocks tend to extend on their own.
5) How much oil should I put in my RC shocks?
Anything between 1/8 to ¼ inches from the top is fine.
6) How do you fix a leaking RC shock?
The only way to fix a leak is to take the shock apart and replace the faulty component(s).
We hope our article helped you understand how to buy the right shocks for your RC Crawler. All the choices aforementioned are approved by our experts and will satisfy your needs. If you have any more questions, however, please feel free to ask us. We are always here to help you.