You can talk about versatility, design, or performance, and Jeep Wrangler owners will smile their widest. And why not? They are proud owners of an excellent machine that is their best friend on-road and off-road. It can, in fact, turn from a regular car to a beast depending on the terrain. This is why it is one of the best purchases, especially if you frequently go on road trips and come across demanding road conditions.
|Shocks for Stock
Now, like every other machine or vehicle, the Jeep JK needs regular maintenance and upkeep. Otherwise, it will not remain that best friend you want it to be. Choosing the right shock absorbers is one of the key aspects of maintenance. Buying the wrong ones can actually be hazardous because they can wreck the car’s stability and ability to take sharp turns. Braking distance and overall performance will also suffer.
Best Shocks for Stock Jeep JK
This is the main reason why we have come up with this guide. It will walk you through the best shocks for Stock Jeep JK so that you make a safe choice. And now we begin!
1. Rancho RS5000X Gas Shocks Set
This is a set of 4 shock absorbers for Jeep Wrangler JK and other 4 WD vehicles. It is an excellent choice, especially if you are looking for an easy-to-install set that doesn’t make you want to break your head. Let’s take a look at its features:
- If your vehicle has 0-2” front lift and 0-2” rear lift, these shocks are perfect for you.
- The set of 4 comes with all the necessary tools, including washers, nuts, and bushings. This means that you do not need to purchase anything else other than this set.
- The shocks minimize “rough rides” even on uneven terrains and harsh road conditions.
- These are mono tubs shock absorbers.
- The installation process is easy and takes around 3 hours.
- The shocks are covered under a lifetime warranty against premature failure and defects.
2. Bilstein 4600 Series Shock Absorbers
These front and rear shock absorbers are ideal for Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007-14. They are also among the more popular shocks today due to their reliability. Here’s more about their features:
- The shocks have the power of the Monotube Gas Pressure Technology, which increases their quality manifold. Thanks to this technology, you can enjoy better control and stability.
- Great comfort, excellent performance, and accurate handling are other benefits that these shocks offer.
- The installation process is supremely easy because you just have to bolt the shocks on. You don’t need to worry about any modifications whatsoever.
- The manufacturers back their shock absorbers with a lifetime warranty.
3. FOX PERF. SERIES IFP SHOCKS for Jeep JK
This is another set of spectacular shocks. If you have a vehicle with 0-1” lift, you shouldn’t think twice before grabbing these. What else do the FOX PERF. SERIES shock absorbers offer? We have listed all the perks below:
- These are monotube shocks that are charged with a 2-inch aluminum alloy body. This design avoids rusting and increases cooling capacity.
- The shocks are nitrogen gas-rechargeable and rebuildable.
- The installation process is quite easy because it requires the regular bolt-on method. Also, the set includes everything that you will need to install the shocks such as nuts, bushings, and washers.
- The shocks have an Internal Floating Piston (IFP), which removes the risk of oil aeration completely. This ensures better performance and precision valving.
- The shocks work well on-road and off-road.
- The manufacturer provides a limited 1-year warranty against premature failure and defects.
4. Bilstein 5100 Monotube Gas Shocks Set
Another delightful option from Bilstein, the 5100 Monotube Gas Shocks are ideal for you if your vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler JK between 2007 and 2015. It, in fact, fits all 4 WD vehicles, which meet its parameters. We have listed its features below:
- If you are looking for shocks that are ideal for more front and rear lifts, you will love this set. It works well with 1.5-3” front lift and 1.5-3” rear lift.
- You can install it in a couple of hours with breaking a sweat. The set consists of all the required tools, which means that you won’t have to buy anything other than the set itself.
- The shock absorbers promise a comfortable and controlled ride even on harsh terrains.
- The monotube design helps dissipate the heat better and prevents aeration.
- Even when the temperature increases, the shocks maintain full damping thanks to the dividing piston.
- The manufacturers offer a limited lifetime warranty against any defects and premature failure.
5. Teraflex 1545200 Shock Absorber Kit
If you want a complete shock absorber kit and you do mind spending a few extra bucks for it, you will love the Teraflex 1545200 Shock Absorber Kit. It fits all Jeep Wrangler JKs regardless of the year. Keep reading to know more:
- Just like Bilstein, these shock absorbers are ideal for higher lifts. In fact, they offer more flexibility. So, if your vehicle has 3-4” lift, you will absolutely love this kit.
- The kit comes with premium bushings that improve ride quality. They also ease the installation process.
- The triple-chrome rod of the shocks removes the impact of over-compression, ensuring a smooth ride.
- You don’t have to worry about trail damage with this kit.
- The shocks have an e-dipped finish that resists corrosion.
- They have a limited lifetime warranty.
6. Skyjacker H7000 Shocks – For Wrangler JK 4WD
This set consists of front and rear shocks for Wrangler JK from 2007 to 2015. You get a total of 4 shocks in the set. Let’s look at why you should consider it.
- The extended length that you can expect is from 1 to 3.5 inches for the front and rear systems.
- You can use these shocks for any 4WD vehicle. They also work on Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2WD.
- The shocks come with bushings, nuts, and washers. This means that all the necessary hardware is included. A few users have reported trouble while installing the bushings, but that can be avoided by watching a YouTube video.
- You can easily use them with progressive springs.
- The manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on these shocks.
7. KYB 343460 Excel-G – OEM Shock Set
KYB is another excellent manufacturer of shock absorbers for Jeep Wrangler JK. It sells good quality shocks and provides proactive customer support, which earns them extra brownie points. Below are a few things you should know about their product:
- The set includes shocks for the front as well as the rear systems.
- While the shocks come with bushings, nuts, and washers, you need to buy the boots separately. You will not get them as a part of the package.
- The shocks are very easy to install.
- You can use the shocks for any 4WD Jeep Wrangler JK manufactured between 2007 and 2018.
- They are gas-charged.
- The shocks do a great job of making up for old suspensions and give you a better ride experience.
- KYB offers a lifetime warranty against premature failure and manufacturing defects.
8. Rancho RS9000XL Adj Shock for Stock Jeep JK
Rancho is another top competitor in the world of shock absorbers. It is compatible with many models of the Jeep Wrangler, specifically between 2007 and 2016. Below are a few details:
- The shocks aim at boosting performance, which is why they are also dubbed as performance shocks.
- They are most suitable for off-road driving enthusiasts because they make driving easy through adjustable compression.
- There are multiple levels of adjustability that you can choose from.
- They accommodate around ¾ inches of lift.
- They are very easy to install.
- You will experience better handling with these shocks.
- They are known to improve overall ride quality.
9. Bilstein Shocks – Gas Reservoir Shocks
These Bilstein Shocks are ideal for all 4WD and RWD vehicles. However, we urge you to check the compatibility with your car’s model number before you make a purchase. Here are the reasons why we love these shocks:
- This is a set of 4 shocks – two for the front and two for the rear.
- They can accommodate a lift of 3.5 to 5 inches in the front. Towards the rear, they can go from 4 to 6 inches.
- The shocks come with all the necessary hardware including the bushings, nuts, and washers. You can make use of the existing mounting bolts to complete the installation.
- The aluminum reservoir clamp makes the whole shock look more compact.
- Bilstein offers a warranty of 2 years against these shocks.
- They will do very well during off-roading, providing maximum comfort and performance.
- The installation is straight-forward and very easy.
10. TeraFlex – 4-Shock Kit for Jeep JK
These are 4 shocks that perfectly fit the Jeep Wrangler and accommodate a lift of 2.5 inches. If you are looking for something reliable, we promise that you won’t go wrong with these. Read on for more information:
- The shocks have premium bushings made of rubber. These ensure excellent ride quality.
- The mounting ends are jeep-specific and vulcanized. Both these characteristics ensure a very smooth installation process.
- This is a versatile shock kit that fits all models of the Jeep Wrangler.
- The shocks have a limited lifetime warranty.
- You can expect superior highway and off-road performance with these shocks.
- The shocks have a triple-chromed rod that ensures hassle-free operation and performance.
How to choose the right shocks for your Jeep Wrangler
The choices are many and that can be confusing. We understand your dilemma here, which is why we have come up with an easy way to help you choose the right shocks. It all depends on the way you ride your vehicle.
- Factory replacement: If the reason why you are changing your shocks is that the factory ones have worn out, you have a world of options. You can pick a monotube design such as the Bilstein 4600 for reliability and performance.
- Off-roading: Moderate off-roading includes creeks, trails, mountains, and the likes, while also driving on-road considerably. In this case, you need shock absorbers that are versatile and offer good control. Bilstein 5100 and Rancho are excellent choices here. If you mostly drive on bumpy trails and mountains with little to no on-road experience, you need shocks that have been designed for uneven terrains. If you have a lifted vehicle, your choice will depend on this as well. FOX shocks are particularly known for this purpose. You can choose one of them.
How to make your Jeep Wrangler run smoothly
Before we bid adios, we thought we would speak about how you can keep your Jeep in tip-top condition even after prolonged usage. The Jeep Wrangler is one of the few vehicles that has remained unchanged for years. It is simple and versatile with a rugged aesthetic that appeals to everyone. However, the ride is a little tough for a few users. If you feel the same, this section will help you.
While replacing shocks is a great idea, there are many other steps you can take to make your Jeep Wrangler JK run smoothly. Here are a few:
- Get low profile tires and replace the original ones if you mainly use highways. The original tires are tough and designed for a firm grip. This is why you will feel the traction while driving. This, however, is helpful in off-road travel. For the highway, low profile tires are good enough.
- Take a professional’s help to align the wheels if you are suddenly feeling a difference in the ride. When the wheels are not balanced, you will have difficulties while driving, and your ride will be bumpy.
- A camber kit will help you drive on imperfect roads without feeling too much impact. This kit is necessary if you are getting your tires lowered.
- Get low-performance shocks and springs so that the vehicle becomes more road-friendly. The original ones are quite tough and stiff because they are meant for off-road driving.
1) How do I make my Jeep Wrangler JK go smoother?
Changing the shocks will have quite an impact on the ride quality. So, if you haven’t changed shocks in a while, you should do that first. Aligning the wheels, using low profile tires, and installing a camber kit will also help.
2) What shocks should I get for my jeep?
As aforementioned, it completely depends on your requirements. Bilstein, KYB, FOX, etc. are all good brands that cater to specific needs. Choose accordingly.
3) Are Jeep Wranglers a tough ride?
Jeep Wranglers do well in off-roading. You may not experience comfortable driving on highways, though, because they are built to provide more traction.
4) How much does it cost to replace shocks on a Jeep Wrangler?
It can range from $300 to $400 including labor costs. If you can do it yourself, it will cost around $200 to $300.
5) Is it dangerous to drive with bad shocks?
Yes, it will do more damage than just giving you an unpleasant driving experience. You will face immense challenges while stopping, especially on slippery roads. This can cause accidents.
What are you waiting for? Pick the shocks that make the most sense to you based on your needs and make your purchase now. You should never procrastinate good things!